Skip to main content

Why I Ditched My iPhone 4S for the Samsung Galaxy S3

From the first, I had been a pretty avid Android person, partly just because I wanted to be nonconformist.  But after starting out strong with the original Motorola "Droid," I fell prey to two Samsung Galaxy II phones in a row that had poor call quality.  (Yes, I sailed right from "shame on you" to "shame on me" in that little transaction).  I returned the first one FIVE times to AT&T before they decided it was a "lemon" and let me upgrade to the next phone up.

From att.com!
Imagine my horror when I discovered that the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket II had the same problem.  I spent hours getting software upgrades in various AT&T stores across America, and after a replacement or two, I finally checked out the interweb and found numerous geek-oriented sites that documented something I would have loved to have known a while ago:
Samsung phones are not known for call quality and some Galaxies II have a specific problem in which the speaker's voice is muffled on all calls.  You can hear, but you can't be heard.
This apparently doesn't matter to 98% of the Samsung Galaxy II owners out there, probably because, like my teenage daughter, these people don't actually use their phone to "talk to people."  They text and email and whatnot.  I was astounded to find that a best-selling phone didn't need to be an operable, well, phone.

So in a fit of rebellion, I bought an iPhone 4S.  My Apple friends smirked and welcomed me to the the cult, er fold.  But right away I was severely unhappy, even though I will freely admit that:
The iPhone has perfectly good call quality.
So did my original "clamshell" phone, and it was pink.  I was hoping that I could have a "smartphone" that was as smart as my Samsung Galaxy IIs had been, only also with the ability to carry a clear voice signal.  So if you're about to cravenly cave in and buy an iPhone just like your neighbors on the train, here's what I learned in my roughly four weeks on the iPhone:
  • The iPhone screen is much smaller.  If you are old, and I am, you will miss the extra real estate.  I like to read electronic books when I'm on the bus or the plane, and it's handy to do so on my phone.  The tiny screen made me sad.  Which brings me to:
  • iPhone does not let you buy Kindle books directly from the iPhone Kindle application.  Apple wants you to switch from Kindle to iBooks, so they have purposely hobbled the iPhone Kindle app--AND the Amazon app--so that they don't let you buy Kindle books.  You have to literally bring up the amazon.com web site on your tiny, tiny screen, and buy the Kindle book from the web.  It is annoying, and it's meant to be.
  • iPhone does not give you spoken turn-by-turn navigation from Google maps.  You can buy an app to do it, but the app I found, which was the cheapest one, I admit, had a tiny 1x1 inch map and a horrible user interface.  Android gives you spoken turn-by-turn navigation for free.  I gather that Apple has recently announced better navigation in a future phone, but you know what, the future was 2 years ago, if you were on Android.  And while we're on the topic of turn-by-turn navigation in the car,
  • The iPhone Operating System doesn't expect you to try to play music while navigating.  What I like to do is jump into the rental car, plug my phone into the audio system, fire up a play list, turn on navigation, and drive.  Then, the music will automatically be muted so I can hear the driving instructions yelling for me to turn left in 1000 feet.  You can get this in your iPhone app that you pay for, but it's weird and kind of funky.
  • There is no good Google mail client app for iPhone.  I am not sure who is more eager to have gmail not work on iPhone--Google or Apple--but I'm not switching email addresses right now, any more than I'm going to drop my investment in Kindle books in favor of re-buying the same books from iBooks.
  • The much vaunted Apple interface is not intuitive.  I know Apple must know best, but really.  If I get a call on an Android phone, the screen lets me choose from "Accept Call" and "Reject Call."  Apple only lets me "Accept."  At first I thought Apple was naively trying to control my life by making me accept all calls, but a developer friend pointed out that all you have to do is press the on-off switch to reject the call.  Oh, right, that makes sense.  Or how about this--I want to sort my applications by name.  So they will be alphabetical.  Sorry, you can't do that on the iPhone.  Or maybe you can, by turning it upside-down three times and baying at the moon.  You would know that because--wait, no, too much packaging to sell the phone with "Instructions."
Anyway, if you are a gmail user who travels and reads Kindle books, the iPhone may not be for you.  Under other circumstances it might be.  There are no value judgements here.  Just observations.  Last week I gave my iPhone to my partner and bought a new Samsung Galaxy S3, which does every smart thing you could ever want on a huge screen AND has call quality.  The end.

Comments

  1. I am looking for a reliable connection for International calling which offers crystal-clear Call quality without any dropped calls or poor connections. Can anyone suggest me something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important lesson about this is you need to choose an android phone with good quality even if it is little bit expensive but still worth it.

    Unique iPad cases

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Do You Vote Someone Off of Your Agile Team?

One of the conundrums of agile conversion is that although you are ordered by management to "self-organize," you don't get to pick your own team.  You may not have pictured it this way, but your agile team members are going to be the same people you worked with before, when you were all doing waterfall!   I know I wasn't picturing it that way for my first agile team, so I thought I should warn you.  (I thought I was going to get between six and eight original Agile Manifesto signers.  That didn't happen.). Why "warn" you (as opposed to "reassure" you, say)?  Because the agile process is going to reveal every wart, mole, quirk, goiter, and flatulence issue on the team within a few hours.  In the old days, you could all be eccentric or even unpleasant in your own cube, communicating only by document, wiki, email, and, in extreme situations, by phone.  Now you are suddenly forced to interact in real time, perhaps in person, with written messag

A Corporate Agile 10-point Checklist

I'm pretty sure my few remaining friends in the "small, collocated team agile" community are going to desert me after this, but I actually have a checklist of 10 things to think about if you're a product owner at a big company thinking of trying out some agile today.  Some of these might even apply to you if you're in a smaller place.  So at the risk of inciting an anti-checklist riot (I'm sorry, Pez!), I am putting this out there in case it is helpful to someone else. From http://www.yogawithjohn.com/tag/yoga-class/ Here's what you should think about: 1.        Your staffing pattern.  A full agile project requires that you have the full team engaged for the whole duration of the project at the right ratios.  So as you provision the project, check to see whether you can arrange this staffing pattern.  If not, you will encounter risks because of missing people.  Concretely it means that: a.        You need your user experience people (if a

Your Agile Transformation Needs to Start with a Quiet Phase

From a really great blog post on agile adoption:  http://smoovejazz.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/an-agile-approach-for-adopting-agile-practices/ I've observed some different agile transformation patterns, and maybe you have too: Just Do Standups   (Shoot, then Aim):   some people feel that since you're "agile," you should just start doing stuff, like daily standups, and then build more of the the plan as you go.  Find a team and start doing some agile with them!  Start a revolution one practice at a time, one team at a time. Pros:   you're very busy from the start. Cons:   what exactly are you doing and why? KPI-Driven Change (Aim, then Shoot) : some people who have worked in large corporations for a while will tell you that to get the respect of the people, you need to start with a plan, support the plan with awesome printed and online collateral.  Then you "kick off," tell teams what to do, and measure them using "Key Productivity Indica